The Binitord bodega
The Binitord bodega, built in a disused quarry, was designed to have the least-possible impact on the landscape
This vineyard is located in the Binitord estate, 6 km south of the town of Ciutadella. The terrain is calcareous-clayey and in all there are 4,5 ha of vines growing Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Tempranillo, Chardonnay, Muscat and Macabeo grapes on espaliers. Integrated ecological agriculture is practiced in the vineyard, which implies the use of natural fertilizers, the placement of nest-boxes for kestrels that discourage the presence of small birds that might eat the grapes, and a flock of sheep that grazes the vineyards after grape-picking is over. In 2010, Binitord signed a stewardship agreement with the Menorcan branch of the Balearic Group of Ornithology and Defence of Nature, GOB Menorca, that established a series of measures that would improve the viability of the estate at the same time as helping conserve its natural values.
Binitord is a family-run bodega with a small, well-controlled production that has been commercialized since 2007. In all, it produces around 20,000 bottles a year, which are mainly distributed on the island and occasionally to restaurants in mainland Spain. The bodega, built in a disused quarry, was designed to have the least-possible impact on the landscape. Visits can be arranged by telephoning 654 909 714 or 616 969 140.
The four wines produced on the Binitord estate are made from its own grapes.
• Rosat: A dry rosé made from Tempranillo and Syrah grapes.
• Blanc: The only blanc de noirs from Menorca, made from 50% Chardonnay and completed with Syrah, Merlot and Macabeo grapes.
• Negre: A semi-crianza red with a maturation in barrels of French and American oak. Made from Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Tempranillo and Merlot grapes.
• Negre Roure: A red crianza, made from Tempranillo grapes, with a touch of Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah. Aged for seven months in barrels of French and American oak.
• Ciutat de Parella: A red reserve wine with 12 months of maturation in barrels of French and American oak. Made from Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah grapes. Ciutat de Parella name refers to the legend of the sunken city on the seabed near Ciutadella de Menorca.
How to get there
Binitord is 6 km south of Ciutadella. To get there, take the road towards Cap d’Artrtux as far as the Cala Santandria roundabout. Take the left-hand exit away from the sea and then in just a few metres, take the first right along the Camí de Son Carreró. This road will take you to Binitord in 2.5 km (on the left).
You can get to Santandria by bus from Ciutadella and walk the 2.5 km along the road to Son Carrió to reach Binitord. The last part of the walk is along a track off to the left that heads through the vineyards and takes you to the bodega itself. Check out bus times and frequencies (that vary according to the season).
See the map Wines of Menorca in Google Maps
See the producers of wines of Menorca geographical denomination