The Binifadet bodega
The Binifadet bodega produces more wine than any other in Menorca and the only sparkling wines made on the island are produced in Binifadet.
Binifadet Bodega produces its wine from grapes grown near the town of Sant Lluís. The terrain is calcareous and in all 10 ha are devoted to growing vines on espaliers. Wine-making began in Binifadet in 1979, but only became a proper commercial concern in 2000. Its first wines, commercialized in 2004, were produced using Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Merlot, Chardonnay and Muscat grapes.
The winery of Binifadet bodega
The Binifadet bodega produces more wine than any other in Menorca, its production totalling around 55,000 bottles annually. Its wines are mainly sold locally, although a small part is exported to places such as the Netherlands and Puerto Rico and there are prospects of further expansion in coming years. The bodega, built out of the local ‘marès’ limestone, can be visited all-year round; nevertheless, in summer you can enjoy the views from a wonderful terrace situated right next to the vines (tel.: 971 15 07 15).
The wines of Binifadet bodega
The eight wines produced in Binifadet bodega are all made from grapes grown on its estate in Sant Lluís.
• Chardonnay: White made exclusively from Chardonnay grapes. The most-produced wine on the Binifadet estate.
• Merlot: A red reserva made exclusively from Merlot. Aged for 11 months in barrels of French oak and then matured for five years in the bottle.
• Jove: A young red wine, made from Merlot grapes with a touch of Syrah.
• Syrah: A young red wine, produced exclusively from Syrah grapes.
• Rosat: A young rosé, made from Merlot grapes and a touch of Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon.
• Muscat dolç: A sweet wine made exclusively from Muscatel grapes.
• Escumòs rosat: The first sparkling wine to be produced in Menorca, made from Merlot grapes with a touch of Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon.
• Escumòs blanc: A sparkling wine made exclusively from Chardonnay grapes.
How to get there
Binifadet bodega is on the outskirts of the town of Sant Lluís, 5 km south of Maó. From the Avinguda de la Pau de Sant Lluís, take Camí de Ses Barraques and the bodega is on the right after 300 metres. There is a bike lane between Maó and Sant Lluís.
A regular bus services runs from Maó to Sant Lluís, from where a short walk will take you to Binifadet. Check out bus times and frequencies (that vary according to the season).
See the map Wines of Menorca in Google Maps
See the producers of wines of Menorca geographical denomination