The first wines of Menorca under the Vi de la terra illa de Menorca geographical denomination.
The vineyard is located within the S’Estància Alta estate, some 4 km north of the town of Es Mercadal. The terrain is clayey, but with there are some slates and limestone. In total, around 3.5 ha of vines have been planted, both traditionally and on espaliers with Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Parellada, Macabeo and planta blanca varieties.
Bodegas Menorquinas was the first bodega to begin to produce wine under the denomination Vi de la terra Illa de Menorca. This project began in 1987 under the auspices of the Menorcan restaurant Ca n’Aguedet (in Es Mercadal). The estate has commercialized its wines since 1990 and currently produces around 12,000 bottles a year, mostly for the local market but also for restaurants in European countries such as France. Visits to the bodegas can be arranged by phoning 618 253 253.
Under the commercial name Ferrer de Muntpalau, Bodegas Menorquinas produce six wines using grapes from its S’Estància Alta estate.
• Blanc: A white wine made from Macabeo and Parellada grapes.
• Blanc de guarda: A white wine aged for 12 months in the barrel.
• Vermell: A young red wine made from Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes.
• Vermell criança: A red crianza made from Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. Aged for between six months and a year in barrels of American oak, and then kept for 7–8 months in the bottle.
• Vermell reserva: A red reserva made from Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. Aged for one year in barrels of American oak and then left for 2–3 years in the bottle.
• Vermell gran reserva: A red gran reserva made with Merlot and Cavernet Sauvignon grapes. Aged for two years in barrels of American oak and then left for five years in the bottle.
How to get there
Bodegas Menorquinas is around 4 km north of the town of Es Mercadal. To get there, take the road towards the beaches of the north coast (Tramuntana) and you will see the vines of the S’Estància Alta estate on the left.
The regular bus service that crosses the island passes through Es Mercadal. Check out bus times and frequencies (that vary according to the season).
See the map Wines of Menorca in Google Maps
See the producers of wines of Menorca geographical denomination
Wines of Menorca
New projects have sprung up and born fruit, and in 2002 a geographical denomination Vi de la Terra Illa de Menorca was awarded to the island’s wines. The typical Menorcan wine is red, made from Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. It is brilliant cherry in colour, with bouquets of red fruit and spices. To the taste, it is well rounded, mid-range, well structured and balanced.
This vineyard is located in the Binitord estate, 6 km south of the town of Ciutadella. Integrated ecological agriculture is practiced in the vineyard...
The Binifadet bodega produces more wine than any other in Menorca, its production totalling around 55,000 bottles annually. Its wines are mainly sold locally, although a small part is exported.
Situated on the Cugullonet Nou estate in Sant Climent (Maó) in the south-east of the island. Two hectares of vines. Include the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon, Tempranillo, Merlot, Syrah and Chardonnay
This vineyard lies within the estate of Sant Patrici, very near the town of Ferreries. Its soils, situated at 100 m above sea-level, are watered by a local stream and are calcareous-clayey in nature.
Sa Marjaleta produces wines under the name Iamontanum, Iamona derivation (the Roman name of Ciutadella), referring to the origin of their wines.