Lamb pieces with sauce
Ingredients for 4 people
1kg leg of lamb in fillets • 1 tbsp lard • 100g streaky bacon • 2 carrots • 1 parsnip • 12 pearl onions • 1 parsley sprig • 1 bay leaf • 1 pinch of marjoram • 1dl dry white wine • 1dl broth • 1 squirt vinegar • salt
1. Peel the onions. Peel and cut the carrots in thick slices and cut the parsnip lengthwise in 4. Wash and chop the parsley leaves.
2. Melt the lard with the bacon in a clay pot (a “tià”) at medium-high temperature. When the bacon is golden remove it from the pot and set aside.
3. Fry the lamb fillet until golden in the fat that is in the pot. When ready, put on a plate and salt.
4. Put the streaky bacon and meat back in the clay pot and add the vegetables, herbs, wine, broth and vinegar.
5. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, shaking the casserole from time to time until the sauce has reduced and slightly thickened.
The pearl onions are the ones called French onions in Spain. To prevent their layers from falling apart, you must peel them carefully and leave the peduncle in which its roots are fixed.
See all Menorcan recipes.