This lighthouse is situated at the tip of the headland of Cavalleria, the most northerly point of Menorca, a good place to enjoy summer sunsets.
The white tower of Cavalleria lighthouse is 15-m high and was built on the island’s tallest and most impressive cliffs. It stands 94 m above sea level. Its lamp, visible from 22 nautical miles, flashes twice every ten seconds.
The Cavalleria lighthouse visitors center.
Opening times from the 1st of May to the 31st of October :
May and October: 10 – 14 h
June and September: 10 – 19:30 h
July and August: 10 – 20 h
Before the Cavalleria lighthouse began to operate in 1857, over 700 shipwrecks had occurred on this part of the north coast of Menorca since the fourteenth century. Despite the improvement in safety brought about by the opening of this lighthouse, this coast was still dangerous and so two more lighthouse were built at the beginning of the twentieth century, at Favàritx lighthouse and Punta Nati lighthouse. The Cavalleria lighthouse was kerosene-fired until the 1980s and was the last lighthouse in the Balearic Islands to use this type of fuel.
Cavalleria cape surroundings
Cap de Cavalleria is a 3-km-long headland that reaches out as far as the lighthouse, which is perched on the island’s most spectacular cliffs, providing the best view of the island’s northern coast. This rocky headland is covered by low vegetation and is also home to the old Roman settlement of Sanitja, the port for the city of Sanisera. At the entrance to this natural port there is a defence tower constructed by the English during their second period of occupation (1798–1802) of the island.
How to get there
Cap de Cavalleria is 13.2 km from the town of Es Mercadal. To get there, take the road towards the northern beaches from this town as far as the Camí de Tramuntana. Turn left along this road and then after 1km, turn right along the Carretera de Cavalleria. Ignore the first turn-off to the left to a beach car park and then, a little further on, turn left to the lighthouse where the road goes off to the right to Santa Teresa.
Fornells is 15.1 km from the lighthouse. Four kilometres out of Fornells on the way to Es Mercadal, you will come to a roundabout; turn right on the Camí de Tramuntana. After 4 km on this road, turn right along the road to Cavalleria.
Please close the gates that lead to the lighthouse, as they are there to control the livestock.
Video with aerial imagery
See the map Lighthouses Menorca a Google Maps
See all the lighthouses of Menorca
Lighthouses of Menorca
The lonely isolated locations of the majority of lighthouses, along with their singular silhouettes, have always meant that these unmistakeable symbols of coastal areas are much appreciated by many people. Their main raison d’être is to avoid accidents and tragedies and guarantee safe sailing.
This lighthouse stands on the cliffs of Punta Nati in the far north-west of Menorca, 6 km from Ciutadella. It consists of two detached rectangular buildings and a 19-m high tower with...
Favàritx lighthouse stands at the extreme north-east of the island, a little over 17 km from Maó. Its tower is 28-m high, white with a black spiral band, which gives it a very intimate appearance.
This imposing lighthouse is situated on the highest point of L’Illa de l’Aire, a small uninhabited island (34 ha) lying just over a nautical mile offshore from Punta Prima in...
The Artutrx lighthouse stands on the eponymous headland in the far south-west of Menorca, 7 km from Ciutadella. This lighthouse and that of Capdepera in Mallorca watch over...
Also known as the Lighthouse of Ciutadella, Sa Farola stands on the northern side of the mouth of this town’s port. Its tower is 13-m high and has vertical black-and-white stripes.
The original lighthouse of Sant Carles was opened in 1852 but was demolished because it obstructed the firing practice of the nearby military gun emplacement.