The Artutrx lighthouse stands on the eponymous headland in the far south-west of Menorca, 7 km from Ciutadella. A good point to enjoy summer sunsets.
The Artrutx lighthouse and that of Capdepera in Mallorca watch over the strait that separates the two largest Balearic Islands. It flashes in groups of three every 10 seconds and stands 45 m above sea level. It consists of a white building with a 34-metre-high tower strengthened by buttresses painted with black-and-white bands. Its lamp can be seen 19 nautical miles away. Today, the old lighthouse buildings have been converted into a restaurant.
Artrutx cape surroundings
The lighthouse stands inside the Cap d’Artrutx residential area, a tourist complex that has all the typical facilities and services that these areas provide. Its position ensures wonderful views of the sunsets over the sea to Mallorca.
Built in 1858, this lighthouse was at first run on olive oil and then on petrol. In 1969 the tower’s height was increased by 17 metres to fulfil the requirements of the 1967 Plan for the Improvement of Lighthouse Lighting. To support this increase in height, its characteristic buttresses – unique amongst Balearic lighthouses – were built. An automatic lamp was installed at the end of the 1980s. On 26 September 2005, the lighthouse was included on Menorca’s list of historical buildings.
How to get there
Cap d’Artrutx is 10 km south of Ciutadella. From the centre of this town, take the road to Artrutx via Carrer de la Pau heading towards Santandria and Cala Blanca. If you are coming from Maó, turn left towards the lighthouse at the last roundabout on the town’s southern ring-road, thereby avoiding the town centre.
A bus route Ciutadella-Cap d’Artrutx-Son Bosch runs during the high season. Check out bus times and frequencies (that vary according to the season).
On foot, from Ciutadella, you can follow the Ciutadella-Cap d’Artrutx stage of the Camí de Cavalls (13,2 km).
See the map Lighthouses of Menorca in Google Maps
See all the lighthouses of Menorca
Lighthouses of Menorca
The lonely isolated locations of the majority of lighthouses, along with their singular silhouettes, have always meant that these unmistakeable symbols of coastal areas are much appreciated by many people. Their main raison d’être is to avoid accidents and tragedies and guarantee safe sailing.
This lighthouse stands on the cliffs of Punta Nati in the far north-west of Menorca, 6 km from Ciutadella. It consists of two detached rectangular buildings and a 19-m high tower with...
This lighthouse is situated at the tip of the headland of Cavalleria, the most northerly point of Menorca and 13.2 km from the town of Es Mercadal. Its white tower is 15-m high and was built...
Favàritx lighthouse stands at the extreme north-east of the island, a little over 17 km from Maó. Its tower is 28-m high, white with a black spiral band, which gives it a very intimate appearance.
This imposing lighthouse is situated on the highest point of L’Illa de l’Aire, a small uninhabited island (34 ha) lying just over a nautical mile offshore from Punta Prima in...
Also known as the Lighthouse of Ciutadella, Sa Farola stands on the northern side of the mouth of this town’s port. Its tower is 13-m high and has vertical black-and-white stripes.
The original lighthouse of Sant Carles was opened in 1852 but was demolished because it obstructed the firing practice of the nearby military gun emplacement.