Platges d’Algaiarens – Cala Morell
walking by the Camí de Cavalls
This stage of the Camí de Cavalls begins at the second of the two car-parks used by those heading for the beaches at Algaiarens (worth returning to on a non-walking day). The path heads into the forest and reaches Ses Fontanilles in 10 minutes. After passing by a group of fishermen’s huts, continue alongside the sea, with good views of the beaches of Algaiarens and Punta Roja, as far as the pebble beach of Biniatram. Soon you leave this attractive coastline and head inland on a path that will take you to the first houses of the built-up area of Cala Morell. Continue through the streets of this resort for 25 minutes until you reach the Necropolis of Cala Morell, just a few metres before the end of the stage.
Distance: 5,4 km • Difficulty: Easy • Estimated walking time: 1 h 30 m
Be sure to shut all gates after you since they are used to control the cattle.
This stage of the Camí de Cavalls leaves behind the fertile fields and woods of La Vall d’Algaiarens and heads into a dry scrubby landscape dominated by low scattered plants such as winter heath, rosemary and chamomile. There are also interesting stands of dwarf fan-palm, a palm that is endemic to the Mediterranean. Cala Morell is also of great geological interest as the exact place where the two great geological zones – north and south – of Menorca meet. This means that here you will find many interesting rock outcrops, of which the best known is the Roca de l’Elefant, which presides over the beach of Cala Morell and is visible from the highest points of the resort and from the beach.
• Algaiarens beaches: Group of two unspoilt beaches consisting of Es Tancats and Es Bot, with a small wetland behind the latter.
• Aljub de Corniola: A perfectly preserved water cistern. These cisterns were built to collect and store rainwater and consist of large sloping platforms from where water was channelled into a purpose-built (or hewn from the bare rock) well.
• Necròpolis de cala Morell: A group of 14 burial chambers hewn from the bare rock that were used from the pre-Talaiotic period up to the second century AD. Just before reaching the beach you will come to a small car park at the entrance to the necropolis. More information about Cala Morell necropolis.
• Cala Morell: This beach that is well protected from the southerly and easterly winds. It is 9 km north of Ciutadella and, thanks to the diving platforms and its calm shallow transparent waters, is a perfect place for diving. More information about another interesting points to snorkel in Menorca.
• Algaiarens beaches: Unspoilt beach with no facilities.
• Cala Morell: The resort has a few shops and restaurants with good views of the beach that are open during the high season.
How to get there
The beaches of Algaiarens and Cala Morell are 10 km north of Ciutadella. From the roundabout to the north of the town, take the road towards Cala Morell. After just over 6 km, you come to the road to the right that leads to the beach of Algaiarens. After 3.5 km you come to the first car-park and then to another just a few metres behind the beach.
A bus runs to Cala Morell from Ciutadella in the high season. Check out bus times and frequencies (that vary according to the season).
Accommodation and logistics on Camí de Cavalls
If you want to go through the Camí de Cavalls in stages, either a part or all of it, you have to plan your trek well. There are no accommodation for trekkers on the path, so you will have to make use of the touristic accommodations you will find on the route. That is the reason why making the route outside the tourist season could be somewhat complicated.
Also, you have to bear in mind that there are sections where you will not find any kind of accommodation for kilometres around. That is the case of the 33,5 km section between Cala Tirant and Cala Morell. It is important to adapt the route plan to your physical condition and your experience as a trekker. In many cases, the ideal choice is to hire a logistic service for you to resolve those shortcomings. This way, you will be able to get the most out of the experience.
Camí de Cavalls 360º is a specialised travel agency that helps you to make the route in stages, in a self-guided manner and with a series of related services (among others, accommodation and logistics). Camí de Cavalls 360º offers you different choices to traverse the Camí de Cavalls with autonomy, always adapting to your needs.
See all stages of the Camí de Cavalls