This stage of the Camí de Cavalls begins on the pebble beach of Els Alocs and continues along the coast for around 30 minutes as far as the beach of Cala Pilar. Wooden stairs on your right will take you down to this beach. The Camí de Cavalls, however, continues straight on, giving you good views over the beach. You pass by a freshwater spring before coming to a pinewood with picnic tables. From here, in 30 minutes you reach the beach of Pla de Mar, from where the path heads inland through forests and then farmland as far as the beaches of Algaiarens or La Vall. This large beach is made up of two smaller unspoilt beaches, Es Tancats and Es Bot.
Distance: 9,7 km • Difficulty: Easy • Estimated walking time: 3 h
Be sure to shut all gates after you since they are used to control the cattle • The first stretch of this stage between Els Alocs and Cala Pilar runs through one of the botanically richest areas of Menorca, which boasts many endemic plants. Please keep to the marked paths.
This stage of the Camí de Cavalls is characterized by the number of different habitats it visits. Around Cala Pilar a large number of endemic plants thrive alongside the more typical plants of the sand-dunes and coastal areas. Inland you will find one the best-preserved holm oak forests on the island. After Pla de Mar, the path heads inland to avoid the summit of Muntanya Mala. In spring here you will hear the song of the nightingale and the high-pitched calls of the firecrest, Europe’s smallest bird. The final stretch runs alongside farmland before reaching Algaiarens, with its spectacular sand dunes and the freshwater lagoon behind the beach of Es Bot.
• Cala Pilar: Unspoilt beach of golden sand in an unbeatable natural setting.
• Algaiarens beaches: Group of two unspoilt beaches consisting of Platja des Tancats and Platja des Bot, with a small wetland behind the latter.
NEARBY SITES OF INTEREST
• Cala Morell: This beach that is well protected from the southerly and easterly winds. It is 9 km north of Ciutadella and, thanks to the diving platforms and its calm shallow transparent waters, is a perfect place for diving. More information about snorkel in Menorca.
• Cala Morell necropolis: A group of 14 burial chambers hewn from the bare rock that were used from the pre-Talaiotic period up to the second century AD. Just before reaching the beach you will come to a small car park at the entrance to the necropolis. More information about Cala Morell necropolis.
• Punta Nati lighthouse: Lighthouse 6 km north of Ciutadella that consists of two rectangular brick buildings and a 19-m high tower with a hexagonal base. It stands 42 m above sea level and is one of the best places in Menorca for watching the sunset. More information.
• Els Alocs and Algaiarens beaches: Unspoilt beaches without facilities.
How to get there
Els Alocs is 23 km from Ciutadella and 10 km from Ferreries. Take the Camí dels Alocs that heads north from between kilometre-points 31 and 32 on the main Maó-Ciutadella road. In all, 7 km of made-up road and 2.5 km of track will take you to Els Alocs.
The last stretch of the track to Els Alocs is poor and unsuitable for normal cars (but just possible with care in a van with good ground clearance).
The beaches of Algaiarens are 10 km north of Ciutadella. From the roundabout to the north of the town, take the road towards Cala Morell. After 6 km, turn right on the road to Algaiarens. After 3.5 km you come to the first car-park and then to another just a few metres behind the beach.
Accommodation and logistics on Camí de Cavalls
If you want to go through the Camí de Cavalls in stages, either a part or all of it, you have to plan your trek well. There are no accommodation for trekkers on the path, so you will have to make use of the touristic accommodations you will find on the route. That is the reason why making the route outside the tourist season could be somewhat complicated.
Also, you have to bear in mind that there are sections where you will not find any kind of accommodation for kilometres around. That is the case of the 33,5 km section between Cala Tirant and Cala Morell. It is important to adapt the route plan to your physical condition and your experience as a trekker. In many cases, the ideal choice is to hire a logistic service for you to resolve those shortcomings. This way, you will be able to get the most out of the experience.
Camí de Cavalls 360º is a specialised travel agency that helps you to make the route in stages, in a self-guided manner and with a series of related services (among others, accommodation and logistics). Camí de Cavalls 360º offers you different choices to traverse the Camí de Cavalls with autonomy, always adapting to your needs.
See all stages of the Camí de Cavalls